Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

U.S.

COVID-19 caseloads still high in some provinces despite vaccine rollout expansion – National


There were signs of hope that Ontario and Quebec are making progress in the fight against COVID-19 on Monday, even as provinces to the east and west continued to struggle.

Ontario’s hospitalizations and active cases continued a slow decline, as the province announced it is now receiving enough vaccine to allow health-care workers to begin booking their second shots in the coming days.

Like other provinces, Ontario extended dosing intervals to four months, but officials said Monday that some high-risk workers may now be able to get their second shots earlier than previously thought. The government also announced it will lower the age of COVID-19 vaccine eligibility to 40 across the province on Thursday.

Read more:
Despite COVID-19 vaccine ramp up, experts say Canada still in for ‘summer of uncertainty’

Quebec announced Monday that it has given second vaccine doses to all long-term care residents, as it reported just 662 new cases.

Story continues below advertisement

But while the province’s situation was stable overall, officials were still dealing with a flare-up of cases in the Estrie region east of Montreal, which was moved from the orange to the red alert level on Monday. The move means restaurant dining rooms and gyms must close, among other restrictions.

While cases and hospitalizations have been slowly declining in the two biggest provinces, they have spiked in Alberta, Manitoba and Nova Scotia.

Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister said Monday that his province is in the midst of a third wave of COVID-19 that it needs to try to reduce.


Click to play video: 'B.C. COVID-19 vaccination roll-out picks up speed'







B.C. COVID-19 vaccination roll-out picks up speed


B.C. COVID-19 vaccination roll-out picks up speed

“We’re in a race between the variants and the vaccines, and more must be done to ensure the variants don’t win,” he said as he announced expanded financial assistance for businesses.

The province recently brought in a number of new public health restrictions, and on Sunday it announced that schools in the Winnipeg and Brandon areas will be moving online beginning Wednesday until at least May 30.

Story continues below advertisement

COVID-19 case numbers have also been high in Nova Scotia, which closed its provincial boundaries to non-essential travel on Monday to try to limit the spread.

Health officials in Iqaluit, meanwhile, sounded the alarm about rising COVID-19 cases in the city’s shelters and correctional facilities after at least 18 positive tests in those settings. A seniors home in the city was also evacuated over the weekend after a staff member tested positive for COVID-19.




© 2021 The Canadian Press





Source link

Leave your vote

Comments

0 comments

You May Also Like

Politics

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae.

Finance

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Politics

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum.

Finance

Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.