Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

Italy limits AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine to over-60s, Europe News & Top Stories


ROME (AFP) – Italy said Saturday (June 12) it would restrict the AstraZeneca vaccine to the over-60s, with younger people who have already received one dose to complete the cycle with an mRNA jab.

The change follows an improvement in coronavirus infection rates in Italy, which has been devastated by the pandemic but will next week lift restrictions in much of the country following a sharp decline in cases.

The EU’s medicine agency in April drew a link between rare blood clots and AstraZeneca jabs but stressed that the benefits of the vaccines outweighed the risks.

“The changed epidemiological situation has led to a reassessment of the risk-benefit ratio for age groups less at risk of severe forms of Covid-19,” the Italian government’s Technical and Scientific Committee (CTS) said.

A health ministry statement Saturday updating the CTS opinion on vaccines said that AstraZeneca’s vaccine should now be given “only to people aged 60 or over”.

Out of a principle of “maximum caution”, for the under-60s who have already received the first dose of AstraZeneca, “the cycle should be completed with a second dose of mRNA vaccine” such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, administered eight to 12 weeks later.

Italy in March blocked the AstraZeneca jab over health fears, but after the EU’s medicines agency gave the green light, approved it for everyone over 18.

It recommended preferential use for people over the age of 60, but AstraZeneca has been used for younger people, including in popular “open days”.

Italy has so far administered 41 million vaccines and almost 14 million people out a population of around 60 million are fully vaccinated.

From Monday, restrictions in regions home to more than 40 million people, including the areas around Milan and Rome, will be classified as the lowest risk “white” zones.

Most coronavirus restrictions will be eased except for the requirement to wear a mask and respect social distancing.

Health Minister Roberto Speranza said it was an “encouraging result that allows us to look forward with more confidence”, while urging people to remain vigilant.

About 127,000 people with coronavirus have died in Italy since February 2020.





Source link

Leave your vote

Comments

0 comments

You May Also Like

Politics

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae.

Finance

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Finance

Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora.

World

Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.