Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sports

Singapore F1 Grand Prix canceled for second year in a row

 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay Street Circuit

FILE PHOTO: Formula One F1 – Singapore Grand Prix – Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore – September 22, 2019 Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc and Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton in action during the race REUTERS/Thomas Peter

The Singapore Formula One Grand Prix has been canceled for the second year in a row due to the COVID-19 pandemic, race organizers said in a statement on Friday.

The BBC and Sky television had earlier reported the Oct. 1-3 night race at the Marina Bay circuit was off due to immigration restrictions.

“To cancel the event for a second year is an incredibly difficult decision, but a necessary one in light of the prevailing restrictions for live events in Singapore,” said Colin Syn, deputy chairman of Singapore GP Pte Ltd.

“We would not be able to deliver a full event experience fans have come to expect over the years, while safeguarding the health and safety of our fans, contractors, volunteers and staff.”

The race attracts tens of thousands of fans from around the world, with concerts and other entertainment around the sidelines.

Tickets for this year’s race had yet to go on sale.

Singapore follows Canada off the calendar and is unlikely to be the last to fall victim of the pandemic with Japan, Brazil, Mexico and Australia all looking uncertain from the original list of 23 rounds.

Australia has already been rescheduled to November but travel to the country is heavily restricted.

A Formula One spokesman said the sport had alternatives to fill the gap.

“We continue to work with all promoters during this fluid time and have plenty of options to adapt if needed,” he said.

Turkey, which had been due to replace Canada but was then also scrapped, would be a possible stand-in with talk also of China making a return and a second potential race in the United States.

Austin, Texas, is due to host the U.S. Grand Prix in late October but could step up with a double-header although there has also been speculation that Indianapolis is under consideration.

That might appeal to the sport’s U.S.-based commercial rights holders Liberty Media.

Formula One faces a separate challenge with the Dutch authorities telling Formula One that all working staff attending the race at Zandvoort in September must be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said that could pose a problem for younger team members still waiting for a jab.

RELATED STORIES


Read Next

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Leave your vote

Comments

0 comments

You May Also Like

Politics

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae.

Finance

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Finance

Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora.

World

Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora.

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.